Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Why I'm here

A long time ago, a wise person stated that if you stop learning, you might as well be dead. If you are an employer and stop learning (about employee related issues) your company might end up dead.


I used to know a lot. In fact, I used to know pretty much everything that needed to be known about what I was working on or with. I was an employer and knew the rules and regulations pertaining to employment. As part of my job, I was in charge of safety and knew everything I needed to keep my plant safe and avoid OSHA involvement (after all, we had virtually no injuries and none that could be contributed directly to the working environment).

Then I joined with a group of individuals who truly were experts in their fields and started Focus1. At that point I realized that I actually knew…. Nothing. Worse than nothing, I knew enough to steer the companies that I worked for in a direction that could have had disastrous consequences. I call this knowledge “Monopoly knowledge” after the board game. If you played Monopoly as a kid, you knew that the rules stated that when you land on Free Parking, you get the money in the middle of the board. Why did you know this? Because it was how you were taught and how all of your friends played it (well, at least that is what we did in Texas). Then you run across that one kid who actually reads the rules. Guess what? The rules actually state that you don’t get the money. In fact, Free Parking is just that – the single spot on the board where there are no consequences. And the guy who actually read the instructions grows up to be the IRS agent. Or the OSHA inspector, or the Workers’ Comp insurance investigator, or the EEO compliance officer looking over your hiring practices, or….. You get the picture.
So, why am I producing this blog? Several reasons:


1) I am a firm supporter of the entrepreneurial spirit. If I can impart information that will help you protect your company or make a better informed decision about an employee related issue, then I have helped a small business grow. And according to the Small Business Administration, over 50% of all non-government jobs in America are provided by small businesses.

2) I believe in sharing knowledge. Especially knowledge that can help save a life (workplace safety), save a job, or save a small company. Giving away free advice sounds counter-productive; however the information that I have the time and the effort to produce in this blog is only the tip of the iceberg in regards to employment matters.

3) This is my business and I want people to know that there are companies like mine that can help them. Companies are already aware that there are CPA’s that can structure a program to help reduce financial losses and keep them legally compliant, but few know that there are companies that service smaller businesses do the same with Payroll, HR, Workers’ Comp, Safety, and Benefits Administration.

So, keep in touch and I’ll do my best to keep this interesting and worth your time.
Sincerely,

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment